Essentials of a decision

 Having discussed the quintessence of decisions in our lives, I want to introduce you to the real drill. To make a decision we need to have these three essentials:

1) What things mean to me? (value addition; Thinking)

2) What to focus on? (Seeing; perception)

3) What do I do to create the results I desire? (action)

So, we see a decision consists of thinking, seeing and acting. A decision will not be complete if we have thought about it and added value to it. It needs the focus, the seeing part and after seeing it I need to act to materialise my decision. About focus, I have discussed in my first post in detail. Let's now dive into the next step. 

Now, allow me to carry you to the chapter on value addition. Why is it important in a decision-making process? This is well explained by Victor Harold Vroom, a Canadian psychologist and business school professor, in his expectancy theory. This theory is well represented by this equation:

MF= Expectancy X Instrumentality X Valance

Here, MF= motivational factor

Expectancy = How much do I believe that my additional effort will make this thing happen? (Do I expect things to happen because of my decision?)

Instrumentality = How much do I believe that I will be rewarded if I take this decision?(Do I see positive outcomes in my decision?)

Valance = How much weight do I give to this reward? (How much will I benefit because of this decision?)

The topic I have to decide on, what it means to me fits well in this motivational theory for me to make a decision. Do I expect anything good to happen with the decision I am going to take? If yes, I will be eager to make this decision, else I will be ignoring it. Now, suppose I see the goodness, will this goodness benefit me in any way matter a lot. Further, if at all this goodness benefits me- how much it is benefiting me will decide the motivation level to make this decision.

Once, I am clear about the benefits of my decision, now based on the valance I will choose the segment of decision which is most important and which is least important. This becomes my focus segment. This focus ultimately decides what I will get out of my decision.

Once, I have chosen my direction of move, I plan my actions and execute them to get my final results. Now, this action stage is important as it decides whether a successful decision was taken or not. It tells that I overcame my fears and limitations to execute my decision and transform my life.

This post is a part of Blogchatter Half Marathon 2024


Comments

  1. Very interesting to know the psychology behind a decision. Incidentally, I recently finished reading a fiction book where the one of the protagonists was a professor of decision behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. Could you please cite the book, I would like to read.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Posts most loved

Pedantic Perfectionism

Mesmerizing Materialism

Zest O! Zest! Why do you fade in discovering your inner self?