Waiting for love By RabindraNath Tagore




Life is full of great surprises. One such surprise is the essence of love. Watching the movies of 1960–1990, the concept of love had always been that goody-goody only. Later on, I realised that love is far more beautiful than all of these. As I moved further and was trying to define what love really means, I happened to read one of the books by Dr. Gary Chapman, "The Five Languages of Love." In this book, his first chapter begins with an old couple who have been divorced and are with another wife, he says. "What happens to love after marriage?" That was probably the most striking question that gave much meaning to what I read in that book. This book helped me a lot to understand love as a gift for others. My meaning for this quest for love was further enhanced as I was reading poem 17 of "Gitanjali." Rabindra Nath Tagore so beautifully opened the poem with these lines:

"I am only waiting for love to give myself up at last into his hands."

If you emotionally connect to this, the poet feels the trust, care, security, protection, or, let me say, the freedom I get when I do this beautiful love that makes me submit to you without question. The poet emphasises that love brings wilful submission because it builds trust that frees us from inside and sees ourselves as one with my love. 

The poet further clarifies what the world has made this love look for in wives, etc., which is not at all the love she is looking for.

"They come with their laws and their codes to bind me fast..."

The poet clearly says, Don't bind love. Love is all about me feeling comfortable giving you what you cherish as precious. It is not laws and codes but the will to find your desires as my best offer. If this chemistry works out, then I feel I have arrived at my destination of love, and my wait for love has been fruitful.

The poet goes beyond and adds this as well.

"People blame me and call me heedless; I doubt not they are right in their blame. .........

The market day is over and work is all done for the busy......call me in vain have gone back in anger....."

The poet's  lines have a profound impact on me. He clearly says that many people complain that I don't show love, but I fear that you missed the very love I am looking to offer, which is beyond your horizon of understanding. You sought commodity love within an emotional heart.. What you looked for, I already offered you as a busy-day service. If you had sought love, I would have submitted to you. You sought business; if I offered you the same, then why are you angry? 

These meanings touched deep in my heart because this is what love is to me too. I wanted to see how it looked in Bengali, and as I read it, those words had even more power to touch your true conscience of love. 



 "I'm participating in the #TBRChallenge by Blogchatter" and hyperlink it to the following URL: https://www.theblogchatter.com/blogchatters-reading-challenge-tbr-challenge 

Comments

  1. Love and commerce are incompatible. If one seeks business, one can't expect love in return.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Posts most loved

The power of your presence(magic)

The grande matriarch of Malabar- Book review

Become somebody's staff