Nostalgia- the niche to ditch the inner self

From this post onwards each day I will be sharing 20 ways we use to  hide from our inner selves. This is first one. 

I love driving, and that energizes me. While driving, I often use the rearview mirror to see the vehicles behind and be safe on the road, but viewing the rearview mirror is only for a fraction of seconds. This is because looking back would be fatal, whereas looking forward would prevent it. We utilize rearview mirrors for the sake of safety.

Similarly, our lives are our past. The past is something we have already lived. We can do nothing about it to change it, but yes, we can learn a lot from it and safeguard our future. 
 
Now nostalgia has claimed the title, steering my conversation towards the past, yet it acts as a barrier, disconnecting me from my inner self.
 
Our inner selves are always growing and evolving over time. I mistreated someone, and I learned the lesson and corrected myself. This makes me a new me. I indulged in prosocial behavior and experienced satisfaction, transforming me into a kind person. This is a new version of me. So, I keep evolving every time I encounter something new. 
 
I've encountered my transformed self on each occasion by being fully present in the moment, observing my reflection in these new garments. I've witnessed both the agony of selflessly serving others and the resulting fulfillment, which has deeply touched me, inspiring greater kindness within.
 
Nostalgia is our stagnant state of staying in the past, our least developed state, because that was comfortable and soothing. We don't want to go to college because I miss my family a lot. The nostalgic feeling is restricting my ability to meet new people and develop myself. Due to nostalgia, I'm constraining potential avenues for inner growth and development. Moreover, it hinders me from realizing my true potential and fulfilling my purpose.
 
Larry P. Hartley, in his novel "The Go Between," said, "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." I agree with his notion.Our previous experiences represent a time characterized by simpler amenities, limited finances, abundant love and care, minimal technology, and less knowledge, among other factors. It is different from what we have now—smart phones, internet, air flights to travel, a good salary, a promoted me, a successful me, etc. These two are two different phases of our lives, and we do things differently based on what we have. Opting for nostalgia means opting to reside in an unfamiliar territory where customs differ from the current standard. So, I am depriving myself of what I can do.
 
While I was penning down these words, I found myself transported back to my elementary school days. In our days, we used to study only on a blackboard. We were satisfied and happy with that. Several years down the line, I had the fortunate opportunity to become part of the staff at one of the schools. On my first day, memories from my own school days came flooding back, but I also witnessed the introduction of modern technology like smart boards and observed the enthusiasm of children as they eagerly embraced new learning experiences. I felt like this advanced pedagogical intervention was awesome and wonderful for learning. This encounter prompted me to brainstorm innovative ways to utilize the smart board for the students' advantage. If I had chosen to be nostalgic and only missed my school days, I would have never met the capable me who could creatively use a smart board for the present generation. I would look outdated and mismatched for the present time. 
 
Remembering the past to recollect the moments is fine; learning a lesson from past mistakes is okay; but dwelling in the past as if there can never be anything better than this is wrong; in fact, it is a hindrance to meeting your true potential. It is failing to meet your inner you because you are stuck in the old you. I would close this post with the words of Huge Mackay(The inner self: The joy of discovering who we really are) on nostalgia:


"Emotionally anchored in the past, we may miss the all-important

connection with who we are now."





I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z and hyperlink https://www.theblogchatter.com

Comments

Posts most loved

The power of your presence(magic)

The grande matriarch of Malabar- Book review

Become somebody's staff