Arms of addiction

 Today, I will be sharing with you our second hiding place. It is an addition. Author Hugh Mackay opens his hiding niche with these words:

"When habits become addictive, they distract us from our inner life."

These words appeared very simple, yet something drew me towards them. Though I have explored the habit segment in various ways for a long time, I still wanted to discover something new or unusual about it.Therefore, I sought out quotes regarding the subject as well as information on habits in psychology.

I will begin with the quote:

“Habit is a cable; we weave a thread of it each day, and at last we cannot break it.”

Horace Mann

Indeed, our habits are like cables that we weave and later fail to break. In simple terms, they are repeated behaviors. Like the two sides of the coin, this habit also has two faces. One perspective indicates that it occurs within the same physical and social setting consistently, rendering it more stable. On the other hand, its repeatedly executed actions give it a look of automatization, making it difficult to control. Socrates called it akrasia, meaning "weakness of will." 

Due to the nature of habits, they entail a consistent compulsion to engage in a particular behavior, regardless of its repercussions. This weakness of will creates blunders. We're all familiar with smartphone addiction, its role in accidents, and how individuals struggling with alcoholism often describe it as being beyond their control, just to mention a couple of examples. In the book The Inner Self: The Joy of Discovering Who We Really Are, there was an eye-opening example that made me think about all the habits turning into addictions that I have developed that are truly restricting my growth. 

One such habit involves retreating in challenging situations to ensure personal safety. While seeking refuge when trouble arises is prudent, pushing boundaries can also broaden our horizons.So rather than stepping back, I should analyze each situation and then decide when to hide and when to fight.

I need to cultivate the ability to leverage difficult circumstances to showcase my capabilities and demonstrate my worth. Instead of retreating into a comfort zone of refusal, which doesn't align with my values and aspirations, I should seize opportunities to excel and assert myself.

I saw every opportunity as a trap, and I used these words to escape. It was something like what we often do. My mouth was always full of "no," just like what the author cited as an example in his book, The Inner Self: The Joy of Discovering Who We Really Are. He mentioned that we often use the excuse of needing a couple of drinks before we can start cooking. Now, over time, this couple of drinks becomes a few more, and it happens that we just need a couple of drinks before we face anything at all. Confronting difficult situations has always been a struggle for me. In hindsight, I realize that I often let fear overwhelm me, causing me to overlook the opportunities these challenges present in my life.This habit of dwelling in fear is not allowing me to achieve my true self. I need to work on this addiction of mine. 

While reflecting on my internal dialogues, I uncovered numerous addictions and habits that are leading me further away from my authentic self. It's imperative that I regularly examine these patterns and work towards overcoming them.


I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z and hyperlink https://www.theblogchatter.com

Comments

  1. Same. I let fear of, frankly ridiculous things, stop me from pursuing my goals. its a hard lesson and even when it feels like i've overcome it, it comes back in another form. You just never know what mode of escapism become an addiction and ends up consuming us...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Posts most loved

The power of your presence(magic)

The grande matriarch of Malabar- Book review

Become somebody's staff