Nancy Drew and Ned Nikerson

Credit: Noupload, Pixabay

My school days had been full of the Nancy Drew series. Those were really awesome days. My reading quest received support from my brother. When I gave my tenth board exam and was at home, my brother would issue these books for me and bring them to me. I read them like my coffee and tea. 

I liked the good romantic relationship Nancy and Ned shared. For adolescent age, that painted a very trusting and nurturing relationship. I think that was the best portrayal of love and romance in adolescence. The thing that I liked was how Nancy was always interested in solving the mysteries. In every series, she was involved in a mysterious case, and she was very comfortable sharing her mysteries with her boyfriend Ned. He never rejected her or restricted her; in fact, he always showed interest in helping Nancy solve the problem. In other words, he showed how much he trusts her capabilities and how much he wants her to do what she loves and wants. This attitude of a partner was most attractive to me. 

The second aspect that I liked about Ned was that he cared for Nancy a lot. He would at times guide her not to overindulge and fall into a trap. Other times, if he feels something might have gone wrong with her, he goes till the end and has always been successful in rescuing Nancy from various dangers and probable severe harm. I liked that he heard his gut feelings and tracked for Nacncy. Yes, this was all full of childhood fantasies, but if I correlate it with adult maturity, we all need to weave trusting relationships for better outcomes and never abandon the gut feelings that always speak louder than our egos. In love, we all need to see what is beyond what is presented. 

My taste in books was never in romantic books. I liked books like The Alchemist, some books that are about self-help, etc. I remember starting "Brida," which talks about love affairs, but I have not yet completed it. I have to do that. Another in the series is "Winners stand alone." Let's see how much I can do. 


"I'm participating in the #TBRChallenge by Blogchatter"

#WriteAPageADay

Comments

Posts most loved

The power of your presence(magic)

The grande matriarch of Malabar- Book review

Become somebody's staff